Friday, November 17, 2006

2006 Iron Bowl Week - Friday Edition

Today I have decided to take a stroll down memory lane and look back at my greatest memories of this storied rivalry.
  • 1985 - My 1st Auburn-Alabama game to attend in person. Truth be told, I remember very little about the back and forth battle of this game, but Van Tiffin's kick seems like it was yesterday.
  • 1986 - I will always remember watching the "Tillman reverse" at my grandmother's house in Anniston on the day after Thanksgiving or that Saturday after Thanksgiving. I ran around like the crazy child I was after that play. While Bo Jackson was my hero growing up, I can look back to that game as the game that truly made me an Auburn person for life.
  • 1993 - The greatest team nobody ever saw. Dad and I were listening to this game on the radio in the den of my parent's house. I remember my father getting up to go to the bathroom when Stan White went down on a 3rd down thinking the Tigers were just going to punt. He came running back into the den as I was jumping up and down screaming as Patrick Nix forever etched his name in the hearts of Auburn fans. Watching the highlights, Tony Richardson, to this day, might have the hardest hit ever recorded in the Iron Bowl after popping James Bostic in the endzone after Bostic sealed the deal with his 70 yard touchdown run late in the 4th quarter. "11-0, 11-0, 11-0" - great call Jim Fyffe.
  • 1994 - Back in Legion Field for only my 2nd Iron Bowl in person. This game would begin a streak of 7 straight for me - I never witnessed Auburn win in Legion Field. I was so tired for this game because I had played in a high school play-off game the night before in Nashville. I made it back to Memphis around 1AM and we got up to leave for the Ham at 5Am. I also remember as we were leaving the stadium some drunk Bama student kept shouting Roll Tide in both my face and my father's. That's as close as I have ever seen my father come to hitting another person after trying to actually reason with guy.
  • 1997 - Thank you, Mike Dubose and Ed Scissum. I was working for the athletic department as a Tiger Host at the time and I will always remember S. Locklar shaking and crying because she was so excited. I have never come across a lady who loves the University more than Sue and I was so excited to get to watch the finish of that game with her.
  • 1999 - My last game as a student and Auburn, and unfortunately, Bama ended up cruising to a 4th quarter victory over Auburn behind the wheels of Shaun Alexander. It was Bama's 1st win ever at Auburn and my last game sitting in the student section.
While the 21st Century has also already left its fair share of memories in my mind, I'll save those for another time and place. Give'em hell tomorrow Tigers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home